Saturday, September 30

Random Walks

My childhood has always revolved around freedom to do what I like.

That's what happens when both your parents are working hard to bring you up, and you are given the keys to your house. I was able to grow up in a curious environment where I could explore whatever, wherever, and almost whenever.

I love the company of friends. But I also love spending time to be with myself, and doing what I call "Random Walks".

Random Walks are as the name implies, going to somewhere to anyhow walk. One of my favourite places, is to go to Clifford Pier to watch the sea.

I like the fact that there is no one that I recognise there. Observing the angmoh tourists, and the uncles drinking kopi at the little kopitiam there.

Random walking around Raffles Place MRT area on a normal weekday afternoon is another of my favourite venue.

Looking at people in office attire rushing back to work after lunch, while I leisurely just stroll by. I try to catch a glimpse of their tags, just to see which company they work in. Accountants, Salespeople, Land Bankers etc... So many faces, so many diversities, but all for the common goal of earning money. Rats in a rat's race, I will chuckle. When will I ever be out of the rat's race?

And then there's random walking around the neighbourhood. Aunties pushing trolley from the market, pampered school kids making a nuisance of themselves, and poor ahmas that collect paper boxes and metal cans. I will always stop for a while when I see cigarette-smoking uncles playing chess, with the loser buying coffee. I wonder how long these uncles know each other, and whether I will be like them years down the road.

And the people who walk around during weekday afternoons. Don't they have to work? I will question myself on how my life can be like theirs.

Random Walks help me to find back myself. Look at the things around you and reflect back on yourself. The mind drifts on things that has happened in your life, and you ask yourself questions like "What if?"

Working life is long. There are times when you get tired of work, but you cannot just walk out, because you cannot afford to be. You have limited annual leaves, but you need a cheap break that does not involve air tickets. A break where you can be in touch with your soul. A short break which will rejuvinate your loss energy.

With my packed schedule, I'm finding less time for myself. It always seem to appear that I'm either pursuing monetary prospects, or spending time with Wifey. My spare time is spent on World of Warcraft, which I understand is a waste of time.

I need some time for myself. Maybe its time to apply for another 1/2 day leave and do myself a favour - another 1/2 day of random walk.

No comments:

Facebook "Like" Button