Tuesday, October 17

Why be rich?

It was one of those rare weekdays when I had time for TV.
I was watching this ChannelNewsAsia program where they feature interviews with millionaires.


Meet Ivan Lee and his chio wife, Grace Goh.
Ivan's 29 this year, only slightly older than me, but he's a millionaire, thanks to Thai Express, a food chain that he started.

I was watching his interview with interest, and there was this portion when they ask him what it means to be rich. He says something to the extent that his motivation for getting rich is so his wife can have a better life.
Its a simple reason, but most of us try to do it the low risk, low returns way - to work for others.

On a separate story, I know of this neighbour who sells popiah at my neighbourhood's kopitiam about 5 years ago. The popiah was not super special, but I will rate it above average in terms of taste. 1 year ago, I met again in the lift and asked her how business was. She told me she is no longer working there, but has instead started 3 popiah stalls in 3 different kopitiams. Which means she has gotten employees to help her mend the stall. I was impressed with this ordinary-looking housewife. I've probably more educational certs than her, but it no longer matters now. Anyway, I ask her what does it mean to have your own business. She replied that she now spends her time with her daughter, bringing her to and fro from school.

I have learnt that it is important for any guy who strives to achieve financial freedom, to know why he actually wants to be rich. Its not neccessary for Mr Ego, or for "the more money, the merrier". Having a purpose to be rich is important, I will say its one of the prereqs to be rich.

Some of us crave for a simple and ordinary life, and don't mind working till 62, and I respect that.

I will take the path less travelled.
I will achieve my financial freedom years down the road.
Why do I want to achieve financial freedom?
I just want to be like Ivan and my popiah neighbour - have more time for Wifey and my chldren.
I will not be endlessly in pursuit of money.

First, use money to generate money.
And then use this residual income to buy time.

Invest your time so that you will get more time in future.

Tell me, so why do YOU want to be rich?

No comments:

Facebook "Like" Button