Tuesday, September 19

What's important at 62?

I had lunch with my ex-colleague during my afternoon leave yesterday. Ex-colleague was a she, but hey, who says married man can't go out with a female other than the wife?

She is a successful woman now, getting a good pay package. She worked till 11pm during peak days, and had plenty of targets to meet, being in the insurance sector. I noted that she was doing good in her current position, and she said she was contented in her current job.

Its nice to catch up with a good friend like her after so long. But I had to remind her not to concentrate too much on working, and forget about more important things.

Most of us are hard-working folks who toll day and night.
We work on a routine Monday - Friday/Saturday schedule.
Work gets repetitive at times, and it sucks up too much of our time, that we sometimes have no time to look ahead to plan for the future.

You can be a CEO, or some other professional with a great career, but does it matter after you retire, or kenna retrenched?

So what really matters when you hit 62?
(1) Family
I have read of successful career people who get depressed after they were out of jobs. These people have neglected their family during the past 20-30 years. Now the kid is all grown up and no longer close to them.

(2) Health
Will you be one of the 66% of the Singaporeans who suffer from the top 5 degenerative illnesses?
Will you be limping and walking slowly when you hit 62?
Or will you have to survive on dialysis or drugs?
Stress within work creates free radicals, which does harm to your body without you noticing it.
Eat right, even if you find it hard to exercise.

(3) Wealth
It sounds silly to say that "Money doesn't matter".
It does, but one doesn't have to be rich, you just have to be prudent and sufficient.
Always remember, earning $500 more = spending $500 less.

Work hard but don't get addicted to it.
Because someday, it will no longer matter.
Wish you meaningful days when you retire.

2 comments:

7-8 said...

No no no, that is not the point of working hard.

The point is, when you are 62, you can tell some young punks who are 20-30 etc, "when I was your age..." etc etc etc. And bask in the glory of those wonderful years. Then you cough up some blood for dramatic effect.

It is a marvelous feeling I tell you. Definitely worth all those long nights.

Anonymous said...

for some reason or whatsoever, this tune came into my mind when i read your entry today:

I get older losing my hair,
Many years from now.
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine.

If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door,
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four.

You'll be older too,
And if you say the word,
I could stay with you.

I could be handy, mending a fuse
When your lights have gone.
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride,

Doing the garden, digging the weeds,
Who could ask for more.
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four.

Every summer we can rent a cottage,
In the Isle of Wight, if it's not too dear
We shall scrimp and save
Grandchildren on your knee
Vera ,Chuck & Dave

Send me a postcard, drop me a line,
Stating point of view
Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely, wasting away

Give me your answer, fill in a form
Mine for evermore
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four.

two years to 64... close =p

Facebook "Like" Button