Wednesday, March 14

Don't let myopia kill you.

There are 2 types of chess players.
(1) Those who knows what he plans to do, and plan for the next move.
(2) Those who knows what he and his opponent plan to do, and plan for many moves ahead.

Despite being the legendary self-proclaimed "game-master", I was always in (1), simply because being (1) doesn't require me to think much. And it doesn't involve being too aware of the surroundings. Stress-free. I'm just too impatient to make my next move.

I took part in numerous chess competitions during primary schools and obviously never seem to make it far. I always thought as long as I keep practising, I will be a better (1). It took me long to realise that the best (1) will never beat an average (2). And it doesn't help that even in primary school competitions, most of my competitors are (2).

How to win like that?

Being myopic will never get us far ahead in anything.

When was the last time you said that you will leave things (eg. getting a gf) to fate? And realise that fate never comes.

Did you enrol for Engineering degree because all your peers did so? Only to realise that you don't really want an engineering job after you graduate.

Why are you going to JC (instead of poly) when you obviously find the lessons boring? Peer pressure?

There's a reason why in any industry, only 10% (or less) succeed.
The problem is not them. It's you.

Why are you doing the things you are doing?

Think a few steps ahead.
And get things right the first time.
Because time that is lost can never be replaced.


Afternote: The evil Mr Hippo has commented that there is even a (3). Create "opportunities" such that your opponents can only make moves within your prediction. K, that is way beyond my scope. =p

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was in JC school team also. I have learnt that there is (3): create "opportunities" such that your opponents can only make moves within your prediction. Then you then have to think so much.

Do you realize that you are always 1 step behind? It is not (1) or (2), because you are stuck in (3). haha.

Facebook "Like" Button