Monday, April 2

Getting married early

Compared to most of my uni classmates, I'm considered one of the earlier ones to get married, even at 28.
But the people whom I know and are less educated are mostly married at my age.

Coincidence? My gut feel is no.

Are the typical well-educated Singaporean "too busy" pursuing their career to search for love or settle down early? Or did the extra years of study gave them a disadvantage in getting hitched early?

Here's some of the typical reasons I hear from the so-called "smart people" and my thoughts.

(1) No money to get married.
If you really want to get married, you will find the way to get married.
At worse, just get a marriage cert and forget the grand dinner. It cost <$50.

(2) Need to focus on the career.
When you are too focus on the career, how to find enough time for the other half?
Get married and a common place to live in. And you will see him/her every night no matter how busy/tired you are.

(3) Can't get a gf/bf.
They don't drop from the sky. Start searching from somewhere.
Well, if you tried hard but still couldn't find, its time to change the method of finding or maybe its the type of person you are going for.
For instance, if you keep going clubbing to get to know people, but none are your type, then stop checking out the clubs.
There are still plenty of unattached guys and gals around. Ripe fruits waiting to be picked.
And don't stereotype the geeks as poor choices. Some are much better than the playboys out there, at least they give you security.

(4) I'm not interested in a relationship/I'm gay/I'm lesbian.
You win.

Yes, I'm highly biased about this topic because I'm a marriage-advocate. Just remember what is most important after 62. Its not your CEO post or your Ferrari - its the bonds built with friends/family over the years.

On a side note, isn't it cool to have a son and dad who look like brothers?
Or a mum and daughter who look like sisters?

No comments:

Facebook "Like" Button