Tuesday, December 15

More wise words from Mum

As you may know, my mum has been a huge influence in my life since young. She has always been very concerned about me and my sister. Juggling between factory work, house chores, current affairs, community centre activities and spending time with her kids, she slept little and live alot.

Dad was never such an influence, as he was more quiet, and kept more to himself reading newspapers and watching TV. I never blamed him, as his work was very physical exhausting. Be it being an Electrician, a truck Driver, or furniture Mover, it's more physcally demanding to the office job many of us hold.

Today, I shall share one of the interesting things that my mum taught me.

If you want to commit suicide, make sure you die. Don't end up being handicapped and be a liability to those who love you.

The statement was made after she read a newspaper article about someone who survived a suicide. But the meaning is clear and can be extended to other areas of your life.

Some decisions in life has a ripple effect.

If you smoke, it's ok if you die early, but you are also dragging your close family to the grave early with the 2nd hand smoke.

If you gamble excessively and borrow money from loan shark, it's ok if you get chopped to 20 pieces, but don't cause emotional scars to your loved ones and the young ones.

But of course, if you can, don't smoke and gamble, and don't go suicide.

What you do today will impact you and everyone around you tomorrow.

Somehow, the United Nation Climate Summit comes to mind. Everyone has their own selfish agendas, but eventually it's the world that suffers.

12 comments:

HappySurfer said...

Your mom is wise and a practical person. I think in Asian countries, moms play a bigger role in parting lessons to their children than dads partly because some moms don't work thus they spend more time interacting with their children. Dads are normally the strong and silent parent. IMHO, of course.

Ice said...

I agree with you mom statement.

But I am not too sure if the climate change only happens in our life time. I believe this hot weather/temperature has its cycle way before mankind existence.

Remember there was/were Ice Age(s)? That was when mammoth lived.

Remember when dinosaur existed? That was the time the earth was very hot as all creatures were significantly larger than what we see today.

I believe that nature will take its course. Cycle does come and go. The universe's power (Law of Nature) is more powerful than any schemes we intend to impose.

If you have nothing to eat, would you be thinking about climate change now? I have to disagree with the Australia PM's climate change agenda. It's all Al Gore's fault haha! He started it. He tried to be famous.

Old Beng said...

家有一老,如有一宝。

ladyviral said...

It is so true! I always tell people that :P... especially the suicide one hahaha! Wanna die? Don't trouble people around you :P.

TG said...

Good post, Shingo. And that statement about suicide reminded me of an Seinfeld episode and I think his monologue was funny, but bears a lot of truth in it. That's what he said:

"The thing I don’t understand about the suicide person is the people who try and commit suicide for some reason they don’t die and that’s it. They stop trying. Why? Why don’t they just keep trying? What has changed? Is their life any better now? No. In fact it’s worse because now they’ve found out one more thing you stink at. Okay, that’s why these people don’t succeed in life to begin with. Because they give up too easy. I saw, pills don’t work, try a rope. Car won’t start in the garage, get a tune up. You know what I mean? There’s nothing more rewarding than reaching a goal you have set for yourself."

wenn said...

true..die straight away is better than being handicapped..

Shingo T said...

HappySurfer:
haha, I just went to looked up the word "IMHO" yo see what it stands for. Always see the word, but never bothered to find out what it means. Thanks for teaching me someting new.

I agree with you on the typical roles of mums and dads in Singapore. I'm hoping not to be the kind of dad that just read newspapers while the wife does the chores.

Ai Shiang:
haha, you mean Al Gore and his Inconveneient Truth?

Personally, I believe mankind has harmed the planet alot all these years. Somehow Linfen, China comes to mind.

Though I do agree with you to some extent that some things are uncontrollable, like if a meteorite coming to hit the Earth.

Old Beng:
And that makes you a gem, my friend.

Ladyviral:
Haha, you are just as practical as us!

MKL:
Funny but also thought-provoking quote! I have friends who are fans of Seinfeld, and loves to quote stories and lines from the show. But I could never understand what they are saying, haha.

wenn:
Sad, but I agree with that.

Mei Teng:
Generally, I agree that committing suicide is selfish.

But in euthanasia cases, where dying people are in huge pain, and are hoping to be allowed to "commit suicide" to release the emotional pain on others and the physical pain to themselves should be allowed, and it's not neccessarily a selfish act.

My 2 cents.

Ice said...

Yes, that's the one, the Inconvenient Truth.

I think we studied greenhouse effect when we were in Primary school, didn't we? So, this climate change isn't something new. Al Gore makes it as if it has just happened.

~Zhenna~ said...

Agreed and like the last one. Peace.

Stefanie said...

Auntie,you rocks!

"If you want to commit suicide, make sure you die. Don't end up being handicapped and be a liability to those who love you."

Good one!

Nina said...

Dear, dear Shingo!

Your Mom is wise as well as hilarious! I will make sure to totally be successful at committing suicide and not end up just maiming myself ... the goal is to be 6 feet under ... LOL! Love your Mom!

Nina

Shingo T said...

Ai Shiang:
There are some things in life that are plain obvious, and that's why we tend to overlook these issues. I will give Al Gore a benefit of a doubt, though some may feel he's just trying to get attention again.

Pink Miu Miu:
Thanks for dropping by.

Stefanie:
I still find it funny how mums can make such a statement. She should be asking me not to even contemplate committing suicides.

Nina:
Thanks. Not alot of people can appreciate my mum though, she can be quite direct, even to people she sees for the first time.

Facebook "Like" Button